Thursday, July 11, 2013

LATEST TOLL OUTRAGE: TRANSPONDER OVERCHARGING

Yet another outrageous toll development. RI Turnpike & Bridge Authority has been offering a "special discount" on transponders. Under this discount, each transponder would cost $10 (and RITBA would provide a $10 credit as well). With the specter of $4.25 tolls looming, my wife & I purchased two transponders, including a $25 deposit in the account, for $45. Our receipt clearly shows the cost as $45, and authorizes RITBA to charge our credit card $45.

Today, I found that RITBA charged our credit card $70. I called RITBA, and was told the $45 price was in error, and there was nothing they could do. In addition to the frustration of what appears to be either a bait-and-switch scheme or unacceptable incompetence, I am outraged that RITBA would charge my card for more than we authorized (isn't that illegal?). The RITBA employee had no answers, and when I asked to talk to a supervisor, I was told none were available. I was told I could return the transponders for a refund, but that obviously does me no good (unless Sakonnet Tolls are eliminated next year as they should be). All who purchased transponders should immediately check your credit card account, and contact RITBA (1-877-743-9727) and demand answers for any overcharges. Rep. Jay Edwards has asked that anyone who was overcharged contact him (662-6280) and he will work to resolve the issue.

The larger issues are knowing by what right RITBA charges a credit card more than authorized, and finding out how this mess could happen. Is this really the agency we want to give full authority to tax us at will to cross over OUR bridge, which we paid for and own? The media and our elected officials should investigate this and RITBA's operations. We pay the bills, and we deserve answers. And we should demand of our State officials a fair, open, efficient means of maintaining infrastructure in ALL of Rhode Island.

Brian Medeiros
Tiverton, RI

No comments:

Post a Comment